Monday, March 21, 2005

Muffins, art, music, yesterday's dinosaurs

Today was a pretty good day.
The highlights being as follows:

*freshly baked blueberry wheat muffins and coffee for breakfast

*photo retouching completed

*wedding contract for April received and confirmed

*house halfway cleaned

*Savannah's art lesson went just wonderfully
--she is so focused and just naturally talented. She's just a pleasure to work with. I SO enjoy our time together!

*Supper at the Bistro with Mel and the kids on open mic night(got some good photos!)
--we enjoyed 2 good performers, but got the heck out of Dodge when the 3rd guy took the stage. A drum solo, followed by a "reading" from a "graphic novel" was just a little too much.We grabbed the kids and scurried on outta there.

***************************************************************************


While a friend and I were driving thru a little town in southern central VA yesterday I was stunned to see life sized statues of Dinosaurs sprinkled along the streets. I stopped to take a couple of photos and he told me the coolest story. These statues had come from an old theme park which burned down some years ago. I was amazed to realize that this park was apparently the same tourist attraction for which my Dad's old restaurant used to carry brochures. As a child I was infatuated with all things dinosaur and used to finger through these pamphlets with an intense, heartfelt yearning to someday see these amazing statues. AND HERE THEY WERE IN THE MIDDLE OF NOWHERE!!! It was SO cool!! What a neat coincidence that I would just happen upon them, while tooling around the mountains some 25 years later. Too much. Here's a few pics.

IMG_4467 copy
IMG_4466 copy
IMG_4461 copy
IMG_4468 copy

3 comments:

Dy said...

Oh how cool! I love things like that. There are dinosaurs lining I-40, as you near the Petrified Forest, in AZ. They have them spaced every half-mile or so, in varying scenes- flying, fighting, etc. It's always a thrill to see the dinosaurs rise over the horizon among the petrified wood and starkly colored sand in the middle of nowhere.

No graphic novel readings for the children? LOL. I'd have bugged out about that time, too.

Dy

melissa said...

Oh. The dinosaurs are on this post. I left a comment about them below.
Wasn't that fun last night at the Bistro? What a slice o' culture( and good food) for the kids!

Emily said...

I remember the dinosaur brochures! It is awesome you were finally able to see them! How cool!!