Wednesday, March 02, 2005

I am a sore girl

I am sore. Not immobilizingly so (I just made that word up), but I can definitely feel yesterday's upper body workout. I refrained from the Y today for that reason. I'll just settle for some thorough STRETCHING this evening.
There is a strong, cold wind blowing outside and my poor little house is having a hard time keeping it outside. Burr.

I spent the morning and early afternoon at Mel's with the kids. That was fun. We did a small art lesson and then just did some fun stuff with oil pastels. Legos and baseball cards were also involved in the days activities.

I came home and did some accounting and realized that I am, yet again, quite broke.
No kitchen curtains or whale watching anytime soon, I guess. I also discovered that a bit of advertising which I recently purchased is all screwed up---blurry images, incomplete information and a couple of other problems. I paid good money for it and it ticks me off that they've done such a shabby job. I'll have to deal with those folks tomorrow.
I spent a couple of hours researching ways to best sell a diamond ring. I don't feel much more learn-ed about the process than before I started researching. I tried Ebay a couple of months ago and it ended up costing me over $50.00 and I had no bidders. I'm not sure where to go from there. The newspaper, perhaps? Do people shop for diamonds in the newspaper?

I did manage to finish designing a promotional ad to mail out to local schools to try and drum up some business. Tomorrow, I'll be hitting the streets with promo cards for the same reason. The Lexington bridal show is coming up and I have the opportunity to get a booth at a larger, local show in April. I need to try and come up with the funds to book that last one. I guess I need to get on the ball with my sports league opportunities, as well. In this small town, I'm finding that face-to-face contact (and, I'll be honest, handing out free pics of people's kids) is the best way to get things done. The good ole' boy system is alive and running smoothly here in Central VA. :0)

Curried deer steak and spinach salad for supper, again. It's good, but I think I need to switch up tomorrow. I think I still have some gumbo(yum) in the freezer. That's kinda' healthy, right?
Oh and I found a good lookin recipe for blueberry wheat muffins,too. Doesn't that sound good? I am all about the power foods these days--spinach, blueberries, cauliflower(although I have my doubts about that last one).

Well, my house is still a mess. I'm lazy, I admit it.*sigh*
It's just hard to get motivated to clean when it's so cold your dog is shivering and shooting you accusatory looks ("I was warm in Stafford").

This was my devotion for today from Elizabeth Elliot. To say that her writings are inspirational is such an understatement:

He who refreshes others will himself be refreshed (Prv 11:25). "If you...satisfy the needs of the wretched...the Lord will satisfy your needs" (Is 58:10,11 NEB).

Do you often feel like parched ground, unable to produce anything worthwhile? I do. When I am in need of refreshment, it isn't easy to think of the needs of others. But I have found that if, instead of praying for my own comfort and satisfaction, I ask the Lord to enable me to give to others, an amazing thing often happens--I find my own needs wonderfully met. Refreshment comes in ways I would never have thought of, both for others, and then, incidentally, for myself.

Lord, be as the dew to me today, as You were to Israel, that I may "flower like the lily" (Hos 14:5 NEB).


I say, that is good stuff(read with British accent).

And with that, I bid you farewell.

'night


4 comments:

melissa said...

Too funny about the devotional!! o.k I'll bite. How did the Ebay thing cost you $50??
I don't blame you, when it's that cold INSIDE your house, you should let it stay dirty.
Talk to ya
Melissa

Anonymous said...

I guess you and Melissa are on the same wave-length. (the devotional)It sounds like you had quite a work out at the Y! That's good. Curried deer steak and spinach salad sounds delicious!! Give Elvis a pat on the head for me and tell him to come on back to Stafford and get warm. Mom

Dy said...

You know, if you aren't in a huge hurry, it's probably best to take it to a reputable jewler and put it on consignment. Then it's under his insurance and won't cost you a dime unless it sells- and then it's only a commission. Might be worth looking at. OR, you can do what I did- took mine in and asked what they'd trade me for it. I made out GREAT, and have something I can actually wear and enjoy now. :-D

On the nutrition end, have you looked at other grains, such as quinoa and amaranth? Since we've been relegated to the wheat-free realm, I have learned that there are MUCH better grains out there (High protein, less rancidity, stable fiber factor, etc.) and we are a terribly wheat-dependent society, whereas wheat isn't really one of the best grains out there. Interesting stuff. :-)

Dy

Thom said...

Ebay charged me, like $26 a pop for listing that stinkin thing, if you can believe it.

Thanks for the jewelry tips, Dy.
I really appreciate it. Who knew it would be so hard to sell a gorgeous diamond ring?

I'm going to look into the alternative grains, too. I'm ALWAYS up for trying new foods! ;o)