Tuesday, April 12, 2005

Makin fun of a "Bad Day"

I tried to pawn my ring today and was spat upon(figuratively speaking).

The telephone book folks finally called me about all of the misprints they made in my ad and as consolation for their errors offered me...nothing.

In an attempt to complete my ever-more-convoluted tax paperwork, I unsuccessfully tried to find last year's taxes and discovered what MUST be a dead mouse in my junk closet. It smells. Really bad.

Oh wait. It gets worse. "Worse than spit, dead mice and taxes?" you query. That's right, friends and neighbors.

I realized that I have misplaced a reprint order sheet( duh!) and will have to call the customer and meekly, apologetically request that they repeat their order to me.

I was working at the computer, feeling kinda down (PPW) and look up to see the remains of a gorgeous sunset outside my office window. So, hoping to share it with my fellow bloggers I grab my camera and step outside just in time to catch the final rays and.....the battery in my camera dies.

That was the final straw. I stopped what I was doing, drew a hot bath and brewed a nice cup of Earl Grey, hot----the good stuff---Taylor's of Harrogate.

It helped. I went on with the day, renewed.


On the positive side of the day, Em sent me Q's shoolpics and they are just adorable!
It's so nice to get something besides bills in the mail once in a while. I managed to send a few little gifts in the mail, myself, to 3 unsuspecting young'uns ;0)--you'll see who!(Q, W & A). I didn't do too badly with my eating today--pretty low-cal. The cold rainy skies cleared off and there was a beautiful sunset(just because I couldn't capture it doesn't mean I didn't appreciate it!). I managed to locate my missing tax paperwork a short while ago and will get it via fax on the morrow. On a financial note, I have taken positive steps to reclaim something that was mine and has been unfairly denied me.

Other positive things about the day: I'm healthy, I have food and water in abundance, I live in a free country, I have most excellent family and friends, my dog adores me, I have a home in the mountains,etc, etc, etc.

The minor problems of days like today are just nothing. They can be made devoid of all their power by seeing the humor in them. That's why I have written this blog. I'm making fun of my silly little problems thereby effectively robbing them of their potential potency.

It works, I feel better.

I shall do this more often on "bad days". Try to bear with me, folks.

G'night!

3 comments:

Dy said...

OK, so here's where I'm a total goober and actually start paraphrasing what I'm reading (b/c have you ever noticed that when you're reading something profound, suddenly it's everywhere?)

The evils of this world can only use our standards to deprive us of our joy. If we refuse to play that game, then we deprive them of their ability to cause suffering in our lives. You nailed it, and you're on the right track.

Hey, on the ring, have you tried taking it to a jewlery shop that specializes in "estate jewelry"? They'll probably treat you better than a pawn shop, and although it'll take longer to sell, you can let them put it on display and call you when it sells. That might be a lower-stress way of doing it. It's hard.

Dy

Emily said...

Perpective is everything...well almost. But yours seems to be in a good place.
And just to make you laugh and continue to feel good. Your youngest nephew found a pretzel IN THE PARKING LOT AT ROSES (I know eewww, but they have good deals) and ATE IT before I could stop him.
Later...He and his brother wrestled over a glass of blueberry juice, big bro let go, sent little bro flying backwards and you can imagine where the juice went...EVERYWHERE!!
So smile!! Things aren't so bad!

Thom said...

Yes, Dy, I have noticed that "what you're reading is everywhere" phenomena. Funny thing.

Thanks for the laugh,Em!