Monday, November 14, 2005

Yesterday's wedding consultation was a no-show. But, I accomplished alot of digital work and the portrait session with Austin went well. He and Jack stayed at my house for a few hours while Savannah was at ballet. When the pictures were finished we took the dogs for a run out in the field and climbed on the hay stack. The boys had a running light saber battle using dried cornstalks that was very amusing to watch and listen to. At one point out of the semi-darkness I hear Jack's voice announcing loudly to a fallen Austin "Drop your sword and I'll kill you quickly!". I was rolling.

When we got back to the house, the boys started a campfire in the yard and messed around with it until it was time to go. I gave Jackson my lighter (not without some trepidation) to light the fire. When I walked back outside I could hear Austin admonishing him to be careful, but allowing HIM to light it, all the same. I thought that was nice. Alot of big brothers would have wrestled it from him and lit the fire themselves.

They really get along well. Austin obviously finds Jack to be just this hilarious, wide-open little person and genuinely "likes" him. And Jack, even when he's trying to aggravate the sense out of Austin, will come to his defense in a moment if he thinks Austin needs defending. That's so nice to see. Too many people let their kids fight amongst themselves like cats and dogs instead of teaching them to respect one another and work things out. Now that's not to say the occasional little scuffle doesn't have it's place. I think it probably does. But there shouldn't be lasting mailce or bitterness.

The biggest incentive for me and my sisters not to argue and fight was Mom declaring that she would force us to kiss and makeup, afterwards. Oh, the horror! Many a fight was very quickly de-escalated that way, I'm here to tell you! LOL!

On the way out to meet Melissa and Savannah, we listened to U2's "Vertigo" a couple of times with Jackson repeatedly sneaking the volume up louder. The kid really digs his tunes! It was fun.

Well, I'd better get back to work here. I just wanted to jot that down while I was thinking about it. At the moment, I'm trying to wrest myself back away from the ibuprofen bottle and heating pad so I can make some more progress with the house reorganization project.

Have a great day!!! :0D

7 comments:

Emily said...

I can only do my best with much prayer and hope added that my boys grow up to have a similar relationship as Austin & Jack.

J-Lynn said...

They sound like such neat kids. Unfortunately mine fight - a LOT - but I'm hoping it's an age thing and with time and constant (draining) redirection they will be as close as Melissa's boys.

You're such a great aunt to sit back and watch and really appreciate them. Do you know how rare that is?

Hugs, hope your head (?) feels better soon!

Anonymous said...

What a great example of what sibling relationships should be. We're working on teaching our kids to love and respect one another also. I hope they'll have that same kind of friendship.

The kiss and make-up thing was hilarious! Maybe something that clever would have worked for me and my sisters. As it was, I got a lot of "you're the oldest, be the bigger person" or "your the oldest, you should know how to behave". Hmm, not sure that solves much since I should point out that we are fairly close in age.

We took the kiddos with us to vote, they thought it was such fun. We didn't have an candidates on the ballot, just amendments.

Laney said...

I saw the pictures at Melissa's, they are tee-rific! :-)

I hated when my mother would make me apologize! I always wanted to say, Leave us alone! You know we apologize when we are really sorry. And no, I am not sorry for hitting her in the face with the Monopoly board, she cheated!

Oh, I feel so much better now. :-)

jon said...

To watch us, you would think that my brother and I were bitter enemies, but I could not stand anyone picking on him. I would fight anyone who did.

Maybe I couldn't stand the thought of someone else beating the crap out of him and leaving none left for me to pulverize.

Thom said...

Em, your boys are awesome and get along great.It's the parents who play favorites or just don't give a hoot who end up with siblings estranged from one another. Q&W are aaallll good.

Thanks, Jess. And, no, it wasn't my head that was paining me. Heating pad+ibuprofen= ? LOL! Since you're pregnant, I'll let you slide on that one, HAHAHA!

Blair, yes, the ole kiss-and-makeup thing was a constant threat and kept many a knock-down, drag-out from ensueing, LOL! Isin't it wonderful to get young ones involved and interested in our wonderfully free political process? :0)

Laney, thanks for the compliments on Austin's pics. Seriously, though, it's hard to take a bad picture of that guy! And the monopoly board "incident"? HAHAHAHA!

Jon, to this very DAY, it fills me with absolute blinding rage when I think someone has bothered one of my sisters.Is that like the "family honor gene" or what? I just don't know. ;0) Thanks for the comment!

J-Lynn said...

ROFL Thom, yes, I've spent the last 9 years of my 27 years on this Earth pregnant or nursing. I could count on one hand how many times that pesky aunt has knocked on my door since I was 18.

It's something I need to get used to again after this one though.

I dun wannaaaaaaaaa wahhhhhhhhh lol

Feel better!