Monday, November 07, 2005

Showcase

Well. It was not the stunning success I had hoped for, but it was pretty good.

It bugs me a little that I put so much effort and careful planning into it, only to end up doing my usual dumb routine of forgetting things and rushing around at the last minute. I am rather proud of the fact that I was all packed and ready to go on Friday night, to include having my outfit all pressed and ready to slip into. So when I arose on Sat morning, I had only to shower, brew java and hit the road. Which I did. Without my suit jacket and without the door prize I was supposed to bring. *SIGH*

I arrived at the Showcase in plenty of time to run out and get a new jacket from Goody's (just across the street, thank you, Lord!) and the door prize will be mailed out to the winning bride this week. Problems solved. Another one cropped up almost immediately as I started setting up the table for the enormous TV to be displayed upon. The desk I had taken apart the night before would NOT go back together again. I begged a larger screwdriver off of another vendor, but still no luck. I was all sweaty and disheveled and frazzled by the time the TV guys arrived and the thing still wasn't assembled. I told them the problem and began to clear away my albums and frames to make room on the small booth table---I just didn't have any other place to put it. The guy stopped me and asked for the screwdriver. L.D. (that was his name, no joke!) and his little assistant proceeded to whip that desk together for me with the speed and skill of a master carpenter. They were done in a jiffy and had the TV set up for me in no time. God bless 'em, chivalry is NOT dead!

As I began arranging my display, it became apparent that I was missing...something. It eventually dawned on me that I needed something behind the booth--like a backdrop or giant tri-fold panel. All of the bigger businesses had them. Ah, well. Too late to do anything about it then. But a large and boldly lettered mental note was made to be sure to get one before the next show.

The placement of my booth was not optimal. In fact, it was probably the worst in the whole joint. It's like they hid me.The vendor locations had apparently been rearranged at the last minute and I just kind of got stuck wherever. I had chosen #22 on the booth placement chart, but #22 had been relocated--unbeknownst to me until I arrived that morning. The only thing that may have saved me, is the fact that every bride had a little sheet that every vendor was supposed to sign in order for said bride to be eligible for a cruise vacation giveaway drawing.
So a large number of brides had to actively seek me out (with binoculars and compass!).

Oh, and my booth was also directly under one of the speakers. The steady stream of music and announcements was a little distracting to myself and my potential customers as I tried to promote my wares.

By the time the show began and the brides started milling about, my booth was all set up and my friendly-wedding-service-provider smile was all pasted on. Over 500 brides-to-be attended the show and I lost count of how many brochures and business cards I handed out.
I received alot of compliments on my images and alot of folks (the majority, I'd say) perused and thoroughly extolled my albums. So that was good.

It was too busy for me to get around to check out all of the competition, but there was ALOT. Too much, really, for the size of the show. There were many more photographers than any other type of vendor. Heck, I had 4 other photographers within 50 feet of me and I was facing the wall! I guess I felt a little cheated in that regard. Most shows will hold the number of each type of vendor to a minimum in order to optimize each vendors marketing opportunities.

The show itself was a little more upscale and better attended than the last one held by this company. They had a very nice bridal fashion show and a couple of big surprises, too. Two different gals involved in the event were proposed to by their boyfriends, onstage. That was neat. And of course one lucky b-2-b won a cruise. Sweet.

All in all, it was okay. I handed out a ton of info and I made a couple of new business connections. And I learned some things, too. :0)

Here's a snapshot
of my not-QUITE-as-impressive-as-I-wanted-it-to-be-but-still-pretty-okay-I-guess display:

Showcase booth

8 comments:

J-Lynn said...

Awwwww I LOVE that military/bride kissing pic!!! It's beautiful! And I'm sorry you ran into so many snags but I guess you live and learn right? Next time you'll know what questions to ask BEFOREhand and maybe you can be more aggressive about table spots? If there was room for that anyway.

I'm really glad they had the cruise thing though and I would peruse your albums at my leisure as well, your work is wonderful!

I'm glad it's over and done with and you can r-e-l-a-x for a bit. I hope you get many bookings from the show as well!

Anonymous said...

I'M SO GLAD CHIVALRY IS NOT DEAD!!!There really are good people still in the world. I think your table looks great. With all the information you handed out, I'm sure you will get plenty of calls and plenty of business in the near future.

Sounds like you're getting pretty good at solving problems that crop up unexpectedly. That's definitely a plus for anyone in business.

I'm glad the show is over and everything worked out. AND you got a new jacket out of the deal.

Love, Mom

melissa said...

Booth looks awesome! And Man, does that alblum stand out. I would KILL for an alblum like that of my wedding. Really gorgeous.

Now,.. tell me how you and Em get Mom to read and comment on your blog? 3 girls, mom....3! (nudge,nudge)

Emily said...

The booth looks great! Sorry the show did not go as planned. But I bet you get some business out of it. Those albums really are nice!

And Mom comments on our blogs out of sympathy. We do not get the dozens of comments that *ahem* some do :)

Thom said...

Thanks, folks.I do appreciate the support! Hopefully the calls will start coming in soon?? (nervous laughter). ;0)

Dy said...

Ohhhh, it's beautiful! I love the large photograph, too. It's a striking and unusual (in a good way) shot. I'd love to have had something like that from our wedding.

This was the first really big shin-dig, and you pulled it off! You should be proud. It's the learning curve that keeps bringing us to new heights. Next show will be amazing for you. And this one didn't hurt - every contact is worth having, kwim?

YOU GO!!!
Dy

Anniesue said...

Your work is so beautiful! Thanks for sharing it!

J-Lynn said...

I posted some photo questions for you Thom if you can give away some of the trade secrets that is. ;-) They are in the comments section of the picture I posted today...