Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Things I like in a date

I have been on several dates, now, since joining the online matchmaking service. From the very scary, Mr. Sensitive to the very handsome Big School Teacher Guy, I have really gained some interesting insights. From these insights, I am trying to glean some truths, or at least some generalities, pertaining to my own desires in a date. Here is what I've come up with.


Sense of humor: he should make me laugh and he in turn, should "get" my sense of humor (or at least have the presence of mind to REALIZE that I've made an attempt at a funny and give me the common courtesy of a chuckle).

Good Manners: He doesn't have to lay his jacket over a puddle or anything, but at least open the freakin' door for me---geez! And if he talks with his mouth full, I WILL scowl at him. Yuck.
I mean, who DOES that?

Attention: At least some small part of the conversation should be directed towards myself and my interests, thoughts, etc. If 98% of the chat is going to involve his thoughts/feelings about his Ex, just go ahead and pay the bill so I can leave. I'm not his therapist and he may NOT cry on my shoulder--I don't care HOW many times she cheated on you!

Goodnight Kiss: Not on the first date, big fella. I don't care HOW good looking you are, it ain't gonna happen. Handshake or quick hug--that's IT. If you can't deal with that, you're probably not what I'm looking for, anyway.

That's all I've come up with, so far. I'm sure more will be forthcoming. ;0)

8 comments:

Anniesue said...

Sounds like you definitely have your head on straight! Can't wait to hear more!

melissa said...

I was totally coming here to yell at you to "Put down the cigar, and POST!"....but look! You did!

Yeah, you are a funny gal. Any guy that doesn't "get" your sense of humor is a moron anyway. You're funny.

J-Lynn said...

ROFL my DH fit all that way back when. I think I may print this out and leave it lying around somewhere as a reminder. Especially the open doors and and mouth full thing...LOL

And hey, make sure any teachers you date are OK with homeschooling. Melissa doesn't need an anti-HSing in-law in the family...rofl Actually, most of the teachers here support it. OK, I'll stop pretending I'm part of the family...lololol I want sisters - wahhhhhhh

I'm glad there hasn't been another "Mr. Sensitive" type date! Still praying "the one" is coming around soon!

J-Lynn said...

And hey, we've all noticed you've conveniently skipped posting about that great date you had.

*feet tapping*

Bridget said...

Sounds like you know what you want it's just a matter of finding it. Good luck in the journey of dating. I would not want to be doing that. My thoughts are with you.
Bridget

Emily said...

LOL!!! Jess is right, Thom! Check out the homeschool thing before it gets serious.

SOOOO, thanks for the update on the blog....that was sweet. NOW DISH THE DIRT, WOMAN!!! Who is making you blush?!?!

~Your Little Sister :)

Dy said...

You're gettin' a handle on the big points. Very cool. Um, hat-tip, though: school teachers may not be the best pool to pick from with two homeschooling sisters. ;-) But if that's the route you go, you have *got* to invite me to a family dinner so I can chuckle silently in the corner. Just tell them I'm the insane cousin from the Appalachain Outback, okay? Please? :-D

Dy

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.