Thursday, January 26, 2006

Quick funny story...

My landlord arranged for carpet company to come to my house and measure for new carpet
(in case the wood floor doesn't work out). I scheduled for her to come out yesterday evening, so when I saw lights in the driveway, it was no surprise. I opened the front door and made sure the porch light was on and continued working on putting up a curtain rod (for the THIRD time--I am NO good at home repairs!). I realized that it was taking the carpet lady a long time to come in the house, when I hear a slow, shuffling-scooting sound approaching the front door. I walked over and peeked out. There was this little old lady, cane/walker in hand, taking tiny little shuffling steps up the sidewalk. I did a double take and then greeted her politely and helped her up the step into the house. She proceeded to remove her quaint little bonnet and remove from her large , grandmotherly purse a tape measure, pen and paper. That's right---the carpet store sent this elderly little lady out into the middle of nowhere at night to measure for carpet!
I couldn't believe it! It was like something out of a Seinfeld episode. She chatted pleasantly about the weather and the latest Gaither family special on Elvis' life as she ever so slowly hobbled about with her trusty tape measure and made marks on her little tablet. I tried not to seem condescending as I discreetly followed her around, hoping to catch her if her little legs should give out or she stumbled over any of the ever-present clutter in my house. It was such a weird situation. When she was finally finished, I helped her out the door and showed her the best way to get back to the road and off she went. In the process of leaving she accidentally beeped her horn (which sent me scampering back outside, just sure she had fallen or something) and ran over and flattened a piece of my gutter spout. I still don't know what to make of it. Should I feel sorry for her or respect her for having the gumption to do what she's doing?? A little of both, I guess! :0)

6 comments:

Emily said...

UMMM..WOW! My guess is it is a "family run" business. A little thing she and her now deceased husband started. With the husband dead, the loser sons have stepped into the picture. This puts most of the burden on the mom.

Just a guess! :)

BTW, the boys received their package last week and were thrilled! Thanks!

Als, Q said tonight that he had lost his Yoda. Then added "I think I will call Aunt Thomasina and tell her it's okay for her to get me a new one." LOL!! I explained the better oprion would be for him to help out around the house and earn an allowance. But don't be surprised if he hits you up for a Yoda or some cash!

~Em

Anniesue said...

You didn't ask her when the baby is due, did you??? Oh, it's late, can you tell? I hope she measured well and you get the flooring, whether it be carpet or wood, of your dreams!

Anonymous said...

That is just too funny!! And I'm with Lynette; I, too, hope they don't send that poor little ole' lady out to install your carpet,(if it comes to carpet).

Love, Mom

jon said...

I have had customers say simular things about me when I show up to trim their trees.

Thom said...

Interesting scenario you've developed to account for the situation, Em. Sadly, it's plausible, too! And YES, by all means, if Q wants to call me he CERTAINLY may (even if it is just to hit me up for a new Yoda, LOL!).

Lynette and Mom, your comments creates the funniest mental image of that little lady with the carpet stretcher! LOL!

Very funny, anniesue, very funny. Thanks for the lemon juice in my paper cut, the salt in my open wound. Just kidding, of course!! I got a good laugh out of your comment! I'm SOOO hoping for the wood floor thing to work out! :0)

Jon, even your comments kill me, man! ROFL!!! You're one funny dude.

J-Lynn said...

ROFL@Lynette!!!

Oh my, DH used to install carpets and I have such an image of the little old lady from cartoons kicking carpet.

"Whasssha say sonny?? Pork schops and applesauce? Aint that swell?"