Thursday, March 08, 2007

Politics, Hair Color and Performance Art

Election day, November 2006. It was freezing cold, rainy and windy. I worked the polls for a few hours, out in the weather. It was amazing to see all of the people turning out to do their civic duty, despite the nasty weather. Of course, we lost the race, but we did win an important ammendment in this state. I think the ammendment actually inspired a higher voter turn-out. I take that as a positive sign, regarding the morals of the general public. Now, if we can just get folks to reason out the best way to apply those morals, politically, well---that'd just be peachy.

Sometimes it seems so wrong to me that everyone is given a chance to vote when everyone is not thoroughly informed on the issues. Things are so convoluted and information sources so biased, that it's hard for the average person to get all of the facts. It requires a lot of effort to wade through all of the crap to find the truth. I want to encourage every reader here to seek out the truth about who or what you are voting for before you cast your ballot.

----------------------------------------------------------------

I've been working out hard and counting calories for a couple of weeks now. It's starting to show!
I have big plans for being "that girl" on the beach, this summer. You know, the girl that we all hate because she just looks SO good in her swimsuit? Yep. That's gonna be me. A shallow goal, perhaps, but a goal nonetheless, hee-hee!

In other news pertaining to my vanity, I am now a red head. How about that? I can't believe I did it! Em's been saying I should do it, for years. Melissa's recent foray into drastic hair color change-age gave me the guts to actually go for it.

Initially, the results were a little frightening---Ronald McDonald-like in their intensity. A few shampoos and a few highlights later, and I am really digging it. I mean I I REALLY like it!!! I've never done anything so drastic before. It's incredibly fun to make a change like this!! I'm going to keep it this way for a while.

I will post a picture of my new scarlet tresses tomorrow.:0)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Here are a few pictures of Savannah in her play last Saturday. I was blown away by her perofrmance!! This normally reserved girl walked out onto that stage and projected her voice, in character, like she was born up there! She is SO amazing!!!!

VU4R4249

VU4R4221

6 comments:

Bridget said...

Reading to you talk about politics is like listening to Rusty. He feels exactly the same way, I do too I'm just not as vocal as he is about it. If you don't know what you are doing you shouldn't be allowed to vote. I'm all for that. I can't wait to see the new hair.

Bridget said...

I need to preview before posting. Oh, that sounds bad. What I meant was, Reading your post as you talk about politics. Gesh, that sounded stupid. Sorry

J-Lynn said...

I'd love to read your political rantings!!! I got REAMED this November because of my Gubernatorial campaigning. I developed much thicker skin as a result and am SO much more passionate about saying what I believe. I bet that woman didn't have that in mind when she challenged me. LOL All 5 of the kids and I worked for 5+ hours (they loved every minute of it) passing out flyers during a jam packed event here in town. It was the best I've felt in a long time, not only talking about what we believed in but taking action. And the kids learned so much too!

I'm so glad on your weight loss journey! Sadly, I gave up a couple of weeks ago because of illness and depression and so forth but we're all out of the funk and I'm ready to take on Lottie Berk again! I have been consistently eating better and evne gave up soda for Lent so it hasn't come piling back on. I don't think I'll be "that girl on the beach" (great goal though!) but I'd be happy with not being "the fat girl" in my friends wedding party photos. ;-)

I can't wait to see the redhead photos you tease! Making us wait a day! My husband will NOT be allowed to see it because he has a major thing for red hair, he says only when I do it but you're too beautiful so I'm not taking my chances. LOL

I commented on Melissa's blog but I'll say it again. Savannah looks gorgeous and so "at home" on stage! I don't even know her and I'm proud of her just looking at the pictures!

Emily said...

I've seen the hair and it does look great! So glad you did it!!

Go for it on the politics blogging. Your post set me off on my own political rant :)

melissa said...

Thank-you so much for showing your support for Savannah. She can hardly wait to audition for the next play! And special thanks for doing photographer-duty as well. The pictures are wonderful. And yes, I think that you definitely have it in you to do the political blog. I mean....... I figure,between you and Dy, I should stay pretty well-informed, right??

Dy said...

Oh, I love the pictures of Savannah!

I think when our generation finds its political voice, things will get better. It's just hard to be heard over the yelling, screaming and sound bites that have permeated the last 15 years.

As far as having to prove that you're knowledgeable on the issues to vote, I used to be all for that. But over the years I've come to realize that it's that very flaw that makes our country so powerful. Who would determine the proof? I know a lot of folks, on both sides of the aisle, who feel that if we don't agree w/ them, then we just don't understand the facts. Boy, howdy, would I hate to be prevented from voting b/c the one in charge of "political education" didn't think I was "educated enough" (i.e.: didn't agree w/ him) to vote. The only solution is to get out there and educate, talk, listen, and help people rise up to take their roles as Citizens seriously.

OK, stepping off my soapbox now. :-) Sorry.
Dy